Thursday, October 8, 2009

It was never two years.

that’s how I ended my last post. I suppose I meant that two years is an unruly term limit -- too long for goodbye and too short for a career change. But then again, maybe I knew as I meandered through that post that my father wasn’t really going to get two years.

The follow up appointment was yesterday. The oncologist said there wasn’t a good treatment for this variety of cancer my father has, and he doesn’t like the way the conventional chemotherapy works in a person of my father’s age, with his disabilities. He’d rather not do it at all.

And he booked an appointment for January, but he doesn’t think that appointment will be necessary.

This morning, after a night of pounding rain, the sun has come out in New Jersey, and my mother says it’s “simply beautiful,” and that they are just waiting for X and Y to show up so that they can sign their wills, which “is rather bad timing,” she says.

Rather morose. morbid.

We’ve done cancer before.

It is always unkind. Always an unexpected turn. Always a hairpin turn on a wet road when you swear (beyond reason) that you are in control. And you never are. You are caught off guard, unprepared. All weather tires and a tune up be damned.

you say, “I wish I had more time.”

“I wish I’d ...”

that's what those of us who long for continuity get - reassurance that something in this unruly course of death is predictable: Those words.

9 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this Peggy.
    I am so aware of mortality at this moment in my life, having several close friends with cancer.
    It does make you want to be kinder, more gentle, more loving, more appreciative, I think.

    After 9/11, my response was threefold: (1) gather everyone I knew close to me; (2) cook large pots of soup; (3) quilt with flannel

    I still think those things are good.
    Sending love
    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mara. In fact, I think that's the heart of what matters now - and always - it's just that we some how (how is this possible?) seem to forget... until we are reminded again. Yes to soup. Yes to friends gathered (in person and here, in cyber space, too) and yes to the warmth of a quilt. (whatever form it takes).

    ReplyDelete
  3. am feeling with you, love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, love. Someone recently reminded me of the Anais Nin quote, "We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection."
    I think I write this blog not so much for retrospection, as to live life less alone, to feel the quilt wrap (Mara's) of my friends, and there is nothing quite like the comfort of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. not sure if first went through,
    thanks for your words.
    thom

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you were here, I would bring you warm homemade applesauce, simmering on my stove right now. Actually, I would bring you here to my kitchen for that applesauce, and to write. I'm glad you are writing. Kitchen tables connect the universe.
    Love, Libby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Especially your kitchen table, my friend, where the birds have names and their patterns have meaning, and your words resonate with the warmth of... hot tea and candles!

    thanks, love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Peggy,

    I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. Looming large in his heart right now, I am sure, are the two times he got to spend in his beloved cottage during the last two summers.

    If I were there, we would be drinking wine, eating bad snack food, and watching episode after episode of Dr. Who, where time travels back and forth at will. Or maybe Emily, Anna, and I could sing you Taylor Swift's Love Song for an encore.

    Big quiltish hug for you and for your family, as well.

    Love you lots.

    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Morgan
    Ah! Dr. Who! What would Dr. Who do... even HE doesn't mess with mortality, in the end (well, not exactly). I wish you were here. Wine and junk food are not the same without you.

    Indeed, we have many sweet moments to cling to and click back upon, and fresh ones, too. This weekend, I witnessed my (still feeling fine) dad have a couple great giggle fits.

    Love that.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Leave your initials if you'd like, otherwise, you will be anonymous.