Saturday, November 14, 2009

Growing Up

What you see here is beauty. On the left, one of the most extraordinary human beings I have ever had the pleasure to know, and on the right, her equally remarkable (and sharp-witted) daughter.

Ashanthi and Mala told their story of growth and love on NPR's StoryCorp. You can hear it here. In just under two minutes: marriage, birth, death, growth and laughter. You may recognize Mala from my stories of Sri Lanka - it is she who guided our days and became "GrandMala" to our kids. It is she who said, "I can't move to the United States - there are too many people who need me here in Sri Lanka."

She is right. But only because Mala helps. In subtle and tirelessly consistent ways, she helps. A woman who was blinded in a bus explosion counts on Mala to take her to temple every week - it's a temple Mala doesn't go to herself. Then there is a woman who Mala is helping start a business. The woman was called home from her work in Dubai. On the way home from the airport, she saw photos of both of her young sons on the back of a bus. That's how she found out. When they had asked, the soldier next door had told her sons that he was burying a balloon. Curious, they dug the balloon up. Her six year old had pulled the pin.

I realized listening to Mala's story this morning that she feels a unique tie to these women. She talks about her husband's death (he left her with 3 children to raise on her own), this way: "That's when I started to live." Each person Mala helps is starting a new life out of the ashes of loss.

2 comments:

  1. Morning, Honey,

    I heard that story and thought of you, and of the extraordinary women you met and knew (and know), and how it seems that the first thing they may think about when they get up in the morning is how they can help. I think about whether or not to wash my hair. Love you. M

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Leave your initials if you'd like, otherwise, you will be anonymous.