
Julie is tired of seeing that Dude’s face - by which I believe she means the blog post down there... so I am writing a very short post to cure her of that frustration. And to ramble about Facebook, and how having a cup of coffee with Julie (in the present) would be a lot better than reading about what everybody else did in my high school. (the past). But Facebook isn’t all bad.
I’ve been messing around on Facebook. It reminds me (insert forehead slap) that we crave contact. (People were actually "relieved" to see recent photos of my family). And also, we (and by this I mean women, primarily) are very good at connecting. We connect over the small things - like our children’s milestones - “going back to school after three days home!” and the bigger things “do I vaccinate my children? Should I?” And the harder things: “At what point does ‘I think my husband smells bad’ morph into ‘I’m all but gone?” Click here. Stay tuned.
I only today figured out how Facebook lists in one place all the stuff your friends do - hadn’t ever noticed that. I click “home” button and I go to a room where everyone I have reconnected with shoots out a this or that, (almost never an unkind word - almost never a complaint directed at another non-famous human). I have a very nice “home.” In the split frame of a moment I can see Morgan’s dog surrounded by fallen leaves, and Beth sitting in her driveway with her husband. Just like. Almost like. I was there.
And.... I see lots of happy people at parties. And that bites. I mean. I never go to parties.
Thank you Miss Margaret! I mean, no offense meant toward Joel, who I am sure is a very nice guy. It's just that I don't know him and when I come to your blog I selfishly want YOU.
ReplyDeleteWish we could have had coffee today.
I never go to parties either.
Peggy, we never go to parties either. In fact, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never be part of the scene here...but that feels good (most of the time). I have my scene, and it involves you and Morgan and writing. (And my boys.) Isn't it interesting how the scope of life is so wide in high school and college, and it narrows as we grow older? True friends are hard to come by, which is why I am so very grateful for you, my dear. (Well, one of the many reasons, truth be told.)
ReplyDelete