Thursday, March 31, 2011

2010 - a Prodigal Writer's Plea

<-- David Tenant aka Doctor Who!

This a plea for you to come back. To read this. I didn't know how much I was asking until tonight, when I looked at the date of my most recent entry before my blogging rebirth of the past 4 weeks. Would you could you come back?

After all, I missed a year. A whole year. 2010 to be specific. The year of the Vancouver Olympics and all those Canadian golds. The year my oldest daughter became a teenager. The year of Deepwater horizon - the garish oil spill we all sent hair clippings to clean up. The year my younger daughter hit double-digits. The year an utterly unpronounce-able volcano erupted in Iceland and grounded flights across Europe. (Eyjafjallajokull? really?) It's a bit time-warping, really, to click on my blog, figuring I've skipped a few month or so and realize that my last entry was November, 2009. It's damn near April, 2011. What happened to 2010?

In November, 2009 I had a different job than I do now. I had a different dog. My dad was alive. I probably weighed less. A tiny tumor was growing in my face but I had no idea and didn't care and still wouldn't if a surgeon hadn't decided to carve it out and leave a deep pink map of Kazakhstan in its place. And I was still connected to my friends. Through this blog, and sometimes, the 'phone. But then time started to move like a broken blender and I tried to crouch very very low - under the blades. And I missed everything in my effort to stay highly highly functional down there.

Where were you in November, 2009? And what happened to your 2010? You are better friends than I deserve. But why would you start reading again? I mean, what if I just up and leave again, Like Doctor Who - (He's forever taking off in his Tardis only to return decades later, confused and certain he's stepped out for a cup of tea). I am no Dr. Who. And sadly (so so sadly) I don't know David Tenant. I would love to know David Tenant.

But I would love more than that to have another chance with you. I'm groveling now.

But I've been absent longer than I thought. And the hole- it feels like grief and it feels crazy and it feels like too long.

I'm making my way back, though. Quietly, uncertainly. But for real.

It's been a few weeks now. Would you could you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Leave your initials if you'd like, otherwise, you will be anonymous.