We've started to dream. Tentatively, mind you, the way the elderly learn to use the internet - (or perhaps have sex, but I don't want to picture that) - afraid of the consequences of over-stepping, uncertain even of the skills we once used - what seems so long ago now.
We thought, maybe, next Christmas we could go some place warm. Imagine. Plotting a vacation. There is luxury in dreaming, and happiness in anticipation, especially now, when the weather is pitiful. (More joy in anticipating from the cold rain than in doing, perhaps). Already Anna has mentioned her dread of bugs - Mexico? Ew. Bugs.
Still. There is joy in seeing cracks in the cave wall and knowing there's light out there, guessing there's warmth, too.
We look at places on the internet. I find palaces on VRBO - Vacation Rental By Owner. Perfect. A pool. A view of the ocean from on high, over the tree tops. A hot tub. And savings... because we will buy our own food! We will not eat out every night! We will live luxuriously on the cheap!
"Did you look at any of the prices on any of these listings?"
It's John who wants to know. Um. No. Actually. But I was dreaming.
He's found resort packages - all inclusive - but not icky resorts. Off -beat ones - for less than my one-week VRBO rental in St. John. But I point out that we could invite friends! There are, ahem, 6 bedrooms. Room to share. And we'd buy our own beer! Think of the savings.
And dream. Even when I do it wrong, it feels so good.
Peggy, it will happen. And soon!!
ReplyDelete